Saturday, September 13, 2008

Cloth Diapering Experience: Day Two

It is becoming the “norm” quickly. The Velcro pads are unfortunately scratching our little speed crawler’s thighs. I’m trying different fastening techniques to hopefully help. So far, not much luck. She pees so much! I never knew! I can’t say how thankful I am that someone invented snappis, Velcro covers, and good quality (and cheap!) prefolds. BabyBestBuy.com Total cost for the diapers, covers, and snappis: $45.00. So…for it to be comparative to the cost of disposables, I will need to use the cloth for THREE FULL WEEKS (ironically, the same length of time it takes to make or break a habit). Everything beyond that is just money in the bank (Cha Ching!) Honestly, if it weren’t for the Internet, I’d not even be using cloth diapers. There is just a plethora of information about cloth diapering on here. The only people I’ve ever known in real life to use cloth diapers are my mom, aunts, grandparents, and such. Now, if I were to ask them, or even just go to the store myself, I would end up buying what they sell there: 12pk Gerber Birdseye diapers (12.97) plastic pants (4.97 for 6) and diaper pins (.97 for 4). Total cost: $36.00 (tax incl). And I would hate it! Diaper pins and pulling off plastic pants 20 times a day??? Plus, I would have no idea what the best methods for washing are, which detergents work (and don‘t - for non absorbency issues), how to store and dry the diapers, or even the “best tricks” for color and odor. I have yet to meet a cloth diaper user here in Clarksville (that I am aware of). I’d be so excited if I did! I feel like a lone struggler. But also a trailblazer. I feel frugal and less off. But also like I’m a part of earth conservation awareness. Giving a message for the younger generation to give too: learn; and then just try something different that is for the better of relational society and environmental responsibility (and a budget!). It may not be the easiest thing ever, but it’s worth trying for!


By the way...I can't figure out which one of these diapers was the poopey one! That is a GOOD thing, right??? :)

No comments: